Thirteen judges helped The Herald-Mail select a winner and five runners-up in the 20th Cookie Contest. The nine included professional bakers and chefs, home cooks and dessert aficionados.
Looking for something to do this weekend? Find what you need in our Weekend Entertainment Guide newsletter.
- Kris LeHardy, chef at Aqua 103 restaurant, north of Hagerstown
- Rebecca Rush of Hagerstown, co-organizer of Our Taste of History, a Civil War food festival in Buckeystown, Md., in September
- Kelly Wilhelm of Hagerstown, cookbook author and former restaurant reviewer
- Jennifer Chapman Smith, collections and exhibitions manager at Washington County Museum of Fine Arts and a pastry chef
- Steve Weiss, chef-instructor at Blue Ridge Community and Technical College in Martinsburg, W.Va.
- David Layton and Norma Kolson, home cooks and co-owners of DatAchieve in downtown Hagerstown
- Julz Lawrence-Naylor and Rande Naylor, home cooks and residents of Hagerstown
- Laura Radiker, home baker, and Bryan Atherton, dessert lover, both Hagerstown residents
- Elois Jenkins, New Orleans native and owner of Gumbo Elois Catering in Hagerstown
- Bob Mandley, project coordinator at Hagerstown-Washington County Economic Development Commission and a cookie lover
THE WINNER: German Chocolate Cake Sandwich Cookies
2 cups flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup sweetened coconut
1 cup pecans, chopped
4 ounces German chocolate, chopped