Faculty members from the campus tree Ccommittee along with 12 student volunteers from Tri-Beta, the Biology Honor Society, and the Shepherdstown Environmental Organization planted the trees.
Looking for something to do this weekend? Find what you need in our Weekend Entertainment Guide newsletter.
Several trees were planted in the Town Garden, between White and Knutti Halls, including a redbud tree donated by Judi McIntyre.
A serviceberry tree, in memory of Ray Harris, a former biology faculty member, and a weeping mulberry tree, in memory of William Reese, the first chair of the biology department who died in 1929 were planted.
A weeping mulberry tree was planted on the north side of Snyder Hall, in memory of Lyla Bell, wife of Carl Bell, and two paw paw trees, on the south lawn of Miller Hall arboretum, to replace a lost paw paw tree.
The event is sponsored by the Campus Arboretum Fund, which funded the planting of all the trees.
One of the initiatives of the Campus Tree Committee is to put have an online map of the trees on campus available.
A fund is established at the Shepherd University Foundation for the Arboretum Fund for future plantings and expansion of the program. For more information, call 304-876-5397 or email kalexa05@shepherd .edu.