NEWPORT NEWS -—While downed trees, limbs and power lines were evident throughout Newport News, there weren't issues with flooding Sunday morning, according to city spokeswoman Karen Gill.
Newport News Public Schools and offices will be closed Monday, but there will be regular trash collection. The city did again implement a curfew from 11 p.m. Sunday to 5 a.m. Monday.
About half of Dominion Virginia Power's 90,000 customers in Newport News didn't have power as of early Sunday evening.
At 3 p.m., there were downed power lines on Crittenden Lane and on Madison Lane at Tree X Road, and a fallen tree laid across the Kiln Creek Golf Course.
City Line Apartment drying out
The City Line Apartments in Newport News, so often flooded during past heavy rainstorms, escaped with light damage. Peerless Carpet Care and Restoration was called in to pump water from or dry floors of about 100 units at City Line, but Austin Gilliam, a Peerless employee, described the damage as minimal.
City Line residents said the mandatory evacuation of the complex on Friday is one reason the apartments suffered less damage than in the past.
"There were no cars coming in to push water inside," said Janice Bullock, a resident of City Line for 11 years who returned home Sunday morning. "That's why things are as good as they are.
"This is good compared to past storms. The rug at my door was soaking wet when I came back home (Sunday morning), but that was all."
Tree destroys home
Vickie Vaughan had never heard anything quite like it.
"It was awful," she said. "It was like a bomb going off."
Two bombs, actually.
Both turned out to be poplar trees crashing into their tri-level home on Ferguson Cove in Newport News -- one on the left side, the other on the right about two and a half hours later.
Home alone with her pets, she was unharmed. Which, when you examine the devastation caused after Irene supposedly had left town, is a miracle.
"Isabel didn't do anything but rip up the deck, so I wasn't expecting this," she said in Sunday afternoon's sunshine. "It scared the crap out of me. But I'm blessed, neither me nor the pets were harmed."
Vaughan's husband, Gene Gill, is employed with Newport News Public Works and had been on the job since 7 a.m. He showed Vickie how to start the generator, and sure enough the power went off. Around 11 p.m., the worst of it seemingly passed, she was watching television when a tree hit the top floor.
"After that, I thought the middle floor would be OK, but I don't know," said Vaughan, a counselor at Hampton High. "Call it divine intervention, but something told me I needed to get myself and the cats to the lower floor."
The second hit was directly above the refrigerator. Their home was declared uninhabitable.