Fire officials believe a fire Wednesday morning in a half of a duplex at 142 Harvard Road in Hagerstown might have been caused by a failure in an electrical wire for a light, according to the Maryland State Fire Marshal’s office.
The fire started in a crawl space in a basement and caused about $30,000 in damages, according to the fire marshal’s office.
Only the 142 side was involved, according to Capt. Adam Hopkins of the Hagerstown Fire Department.
Medics initially went to the rear of the duplex because they heard two children were trapped in the back of the house, Hopkins said. But that turned out not to be the case, and it was determined the children were in school, he said.
Two other people who were inside the 142 Harvard Road side got out safely, Hopkins said.
Nobody was home at the 144 side of the duplex when the fire broke out, and that side of the building was not damaged, according to Hopkins.
Danny Nabatti owns the half of the duplex at 142 Harvard Road and it was occupied by Sharntil Young, according to the fire marshal’s office.
Firefighters went inside the 142 side of the building at 10:25 a.m. to make sure no fire remained inside the walls or in the areas that were burned, according to Hopkins.
It took 25 firefighters 15 minutes to contain the fire that broke out just before 10 a.m.
There were smoke alarms in the home, but they did not function, the fire marshal’s office said.
Staff writer Dave McMillion contributed to this story.