Fire spread from a stove in a residence Wednesday night in the Milestone Garden Apartments after food was left on the stove, according to a spokesman for the Williamsport Volunteer Fire Co.
While food was on the stove, people in the apartment left the residence to go to the store, said Mark Kopp, assistant chief for the department.
When they returned from the store, smoke rolled out of the apartment, Kopp said.
Firefighters put out the fire and were able to contain it to the stove and some cabinets, said Kopp, who estimated damages at less than $500.
No one was injured. A handicapped person from a lower apartment was evacuated from that residence when firefighters arrived, Kopp said.
The apartment complex is off U.S. 11 in the area of Milestone Terrace.