Judge denies teen's request for release or lower bail in attempted murder case
Dennis Steven Marshall is taken to a patrol car by a Hagerstown City Police officer after his arrest on Avalon Street on Friday. (By Ric Dugan/Staff Photographer)
Dennis Marshall Jr., whose last known address was 22 West Side Ave., was arrested Friday after Hagerstown police found him hiding in the closet of an Avalon Avenue home.
He was charged with second-degree attempted murder, first- and second-degree assault, reckless endangerment, carrying a dangerous weapon with intent to cause injury and possession of a dangerous concealed weapon.
Police received information that the wanted teenager was in town, Chief Arthur Smith said Friday.
The charges arose from the Oct. 17 shooting of Colin W. Williams, 18, of Hagerstown, on Jonathan Street near Wellers Alley, according to the application for statement of charges. Police found Williams on the ground with a gunshot wound to his abdomen, the charging documents said.
Williams’ girlfriend, Fantaisa Rivera, told police they were walking on Jonathan Street when a male she knew as Dennis walked up, pulled a handgun from his waistband and shot Williams, the documents said.
Rivera told police it appeared the male was ready to fire again, but a witness began yelling for someone to call an ambulance and Marshall fled, the documents said.
Williams, who recovered from the gunshot wound, was subsequently charged with attempted murder and other offenses in the stabbing of a male in Hagerstown on Oct. 6. The charging documents did not allege any connection between the stabbing and the shooting 11 days later.
Rivera also told police that the shooter had been involved in an armed robbery that city police investigated several months earlier, the documents said. She identified Marshall’s picture from a photo lineup, the documents said.
When he was 16, Marshall was charged as an adult with an armed robbery at Nadia’s Convenience Store in Hagerstown. His case was later transferred to juvenile court.
In July, a judge ruled there was insufficient evidence to find Marshall was involved in that robbery.
Assistant State’s Attorney Arthur Rozes Tuesday told Judge Dana Moylan Wright that Marshall should either be held on the $800,000 bond set by a district court commissioner or be held without bail. Rozes cited Marshall’s “extensive juvenile record” and noted the robbery charge from February.
“His case was, on a technicality, dismissed,” Rozes told Wright. “We believe he is a public menace.”
Speaking via closed-circuit TV from the Washington County Detention Center, Marshall told Wright the robbery case was dismissed “and that shouldn’t be held against me.”
Although he avoided arrest for more than two months, he asked for a personal recognizance bond or lowered bond. Marshall denied he was a threat to public safety.
His preliminary hearing is scheduled for Jan. 18, court records show.