Washington County fire companies provide assistance to Prince George’s
Four fire companies in Washington County sent firefighters and firetrucks or support vehicles to Prince George’s County, Md., on Saturday to assist with brush fires or staff fire stations to respond to other emergencies while firefighters battled brush fires, according to Washington County Emergency Services.
All of the fire units returned to Washington County shortly before noon Sunday, according to 911.
Williamsport Volunteer Fire & Emergency Medical Services Inc. sent a support vehicle and a minipumper fire engine.
Clear Spring Volunteer Fire Department sent a fire engine and a brush unit.
Rohrersville, a substation of First Hose Co. of Boonsboro, sent a fire engine.
Maugansville Goodwill Volunteer Fire Co. sent a tanker and a support unit.
911 Supervisor Wayne Bockstanz said Sunday morning that emergency service officials made sure Washington County would still be able to respond to local fires before firefighters and trucks were sent to Prince George’s.
Pa. family left homeless after fire
MARION, Pa. — A family of seven was left homeless and a firefighter had a minor injury after winds helped spread an electrical fire at a farmhouse Saturday, said Marion Volunteer Fire Co.’s assistant fire chief.
The fire, reported at 3:03 p.m. Saturday at 930 Swamp Fox Road east of Marion, started with faulty electrical wiring, Assistant Fire Chief Steve Cummings said Sunday.
Strong wind gusts spread the fire into the attic and walls, Cummings said. The old farmhouse sat in the middle of a field. Part of it was made with heavy timber that was bricked on the outside and the other part was a stone house, he said.
The renters saw smoke coming out from under the stairs and were able to get out of the home, Cummings said.
The American Red Cross was called to assist the family of two adults and five children with shelter, Cummings said.
A firefighter from Franklin Fire Co. in Chambersburg was treated at the scene for a minor burn on his back, Cummings said.
About 45 firefighters from Franklin and Cumberland counties in Pennsylvania and Washington County in Maryland responded to the fire, he said.
Pa. house fire rekindles
CHAMBERSBURG, Pa. — Franklin County firefighters returned to a house fire when it rekindled Sunday morning after the original fire Saturday night, according to Franklin County Emergency Services.
The house was abandoned and no one was hurt, according to the Fayetteville (Pa.) Volunteer Fire Department.
The original fire at 4050 White Church Road, a few miles north of Chambersburg, was reported at 9:40 p.m. Saturday and firefighters left the scene at 11:22 p.m. Saturday, according to 911.
They were called back out for a rekindle at 3:44 a.m. Sunday and left the scene at 5:35 a.m. Sunday, a 911 dispatcher said.
Franklin County Emergency Services report
The following incidents were reported Sunday by Franklin County (Pa.) Emergency Services:
- At 1:26 a.m., an automatic fire alarm in the 12900 block of Washington Township Boulevard in Washington Township.
- At 3:44 a.m., a house fire in the 4050 block of White Church Road in Greene Township.
- At 4:37 a.m., a carbon monoxide detector was activated in the 6600 block of Congressional Terrace in Guilford Township.
- At 5:08 p.m., a brush fire in the 200 block of Penn Street in Mont Alto.
- At 7:56 p.m., a chimney fire in the 400 block of Loudon Street in Chambersburg.