During the first weeks of February, Washington County Scout units will host open houses and other activities to display their skills and provide an opportunity for new members to join.
The mid-year recruitment offers an opportunity for young men who were never Cub Scouts or Boy Scouts to join troops in time to attend spring outings and summer camp. The Boy Scout program is open to young men who are at least 10 and 1/2, and have completed the fifth grade, and have not turned 18.
• Pack 102, chartered to Wacohu Grange 415, 16412 National Pike, Hagerstown, will host a Pinewood Derby today at 6:30 p.m. at the grange hall. Boys eligible to be Cub Scouts are between the ages of 6 and 10 1/2.
• Troop 4, chartered to the Wesleyan Class of John Wesley United Methodist Church, will host an open house in its meeting room, Rowe Hall off the Alley at the rear of 129 N. Potomac St. Hagerstown, Tuesday, Feb. 12, at 7 p.m.
• Troop 8, chartered to St. Ann’s Catholic Church, 1525 Oak Hill Ave., will hold an open house Thursday from 7 to 8:30 p.m.
• Troop 17, chartered to the Williamsport United Methodist Men, which meets at the Boy Scout Building at Byron Park in Williamsport, will hold its open house Monday, Feb. 11, at 7 p.m.
• Troop 23, sponsored by Funkstown American Legion Post 211, meets at the Funkstown Town Hall, 30 E. Baltimore St., Funkstown, and will hold an open house Wednesday at 6:30 p.m.
• Troop 51, sponsored by St. Paul’s Episcopal Church, will hold an open house at 209 W. Main St. in Sharpsburg today at 7 p.m.
• Troop 58, chartered to Downsville Christian Church, 8641 Downsville Pike, meets at 6:30 p.m. on Wednesdays, and invites interested young men between the ages of 11 and 18 to visit.
• Troop 64 is chartered to the Maugansville Ruritan, 18007 Maugans Ave., and will hold its open house today at 7 p.m.
• Troop 103 is sponsored by Longmeadow Rotary Club and meets at the Paramount Brethren in Christ Church, 19106 Longmeadow Road in Hagerstown Mondays from 6:30 to 8 p.m.
• Troop 117, chartered to the Clear Spring Scouting Association, will have its open house at the Clear Spring Scout Hall, North Mill Street in Clear Spring Sunday at 6:30 p.m.
• Troop 136, chartered to the Halfway Lions Club, meets in the Fellowship Hall at Church of the Holy Trinity, 17805 Oak Ridge Drive, and will hold its open house today at 6:30 p.m.