On Friday, the Washington County Commission on Aging’s property committee submitted a letter to the county commissioners with a five-page list of suggested guidelines to be considered when the 4.6-acre property’s main building is renovated into a senior center that the county has planned to build for years.
Bill Beard, chairman of the property committee, supplied The Herald-Mail with the list of guidelines, which covers 26 potential uses for various areas of the 19,000-square-foot facility.
Among other things, the list calls for computerized check-in in the main entry area, administrative offices for center staff and a multiuse room for dance, aerobics, walking, assemblies and more.
More suggested guidelines include:
- A dining room with seating for 75 to 100 people, a four-burner gas stove, refrigerators and freezers available for on-site catering.
- Small interview rooms.
- An exercise room with 14 to 15 machines, video monitors and emergency help buttons.
- A craft/painting room with cabinets, counters and two sinks.
- A computer room with eight work stations.
- A ceramics/woodshop with various machines, like a jigsaw, drill press and table saw.
- A conference room.
- A room for games or classes.
- A health room.
- A kiln room with two kilns and shelving; would open to the ceramics room.
- A billiards room.
- A general classroom with six tables, with four chairs each.
- Men’s and women’s locker rooms.
- A special-needs room with a toilet.
- A washer and dryer room.
- Men’s and women’s restrooms, near entry, dining and other activity areas.
- Support spaces, including corridors, closets, mechanical and electrical rooms, and a vending area.
- Systems and specialties, like sprinkler and security systems with cameras, wi-fi and cable (hard-wired), televisions on carts, drop-down movie screens and projectors.
- Various pieces of furniture, made of vinyl/plastic.
- Outside activities, including vehicle drop-off area, picnic tables, walking path, benches, horseshoes, bocce ball and shuffleboard.
- Parking, per ordinance.
- Other things for general consideration, including interior acoustics, adequate natural and artificial light, landscaping and potential future expansion.