Following are some tips to help people weather the storm:
- Drive only if necessary. Stay away from flooded roads and washed-out bridges.
- Avoid areas that are susceptible to localized flooding.
- Do not drive through standing water.
- Keep away from downed power lines and report them immediately.
- Intersections with non-functioning traffic lights should be treated as four-way stops. Make eye contact with other drivers at the intersection before proceeding.
- Pay attention to posted warning signs.
- Turn the refrigerator and freezer to its coldest setting so that the food will last longer if there’s a power outage.
- Check refrigerated food for spoilage in case of a power outage.
- Inspect your home for damage.
- Be on the alert for extended rainfall and subsequent flooding.
Supplies you will need
- Water, one gallon per person for three days
- Three-day supply of non-perishable food
- Extra batteries
- First-aid kit
- Family and emergency contact information