Battalion Fire Chief Mark Cleck said uniformed fire officials will visit neighborhoods in a fire department vehicle. He said residents will not be required to let firefighters into their homes if they choose not to participate.
The visits will occur Mondays through Thursdays from 6 to 9 p.m., according to a City of Hagerstown news release.
Cleck said the checks will be done until mid- to late June.
The fire department wanted to start making the checks on Monday, Cleck said, but held off because of the rainy weather.
The following neighborhoods will be visited:
- Downtown, from Potomac Street west to Prospect Street, and from Prospect Avenue south to West Baltimore Street
- Jefferson Street and Security Road areas from North Cannon Avenue to the city line, including Wood Street, Vista Street, Fridinger Avenue and Brookline Avenue
- Pangborn Heights Apartments
- Washington Gardens Apartments
- Summerlin Manor Subdivision
- Langley East Subdivision
- Edgewood Hills Apartments
- Greenwich Park Subdivision
- Fairway Meadows Subdivision