A family was displaced and two pet dogs died in a house fire Wednesday morning in Hagerstown’s West End, authorities said.
Crews were dispatched to 1044 Georgia Ave. at 10:33 a.m. after neighbors reported the fire, Hagerstown Communications Manager Erin Wolfe said in a news release.
The blaze initially was reported as a chimney fire, according to Mark Cleck, battalion chief for the Hagerstown Fire Department.
When they arrived, firefighters found flames on the first floor of the house. The fire was brought under control in about 15 minutes, and the last crews cleared the scene at 12:20 p.m., the release said.
The family was not home at the time of the fire, Cleck said.
But two dogs that were family pets were found inside the residence, Wolfe said.
Firefighters took the dogs outside and, with the help of neighbors, attempted to revive them with oxygen and cardiopulmonary resuscitation. But their efforts were unsuccessful, the release said.
The investigation is still ongoing, but preliminary findings indicated the fire’s cause was accidental and resulted from an electrical problem, the release said.
Fire marshals said the fire started in the living room. The 1 1/2-story house sustained moderate damage but was uninhabitable, the release said.
The family was offered assistance through the American Red Cross, Wolfe said.
The 1000 block of Georgia Avenue was closed to traffic while fire crews were at the scene.
Personnel from Hagerstown fire companies, as well as Maugansville, Halfway, Washington County Emergency Services and Community Rescue Service responded to the blaze, Wolfe said.