A Washington County Circuit Court jury deliberated less than half an hour Tuesday before finding a former Hagerstown man guilty of sexually assaulting a girl during a two-year period.
Charles William Selby III, 43, who is already serving 20 years in prison on an earlier conviction on child pornography and third-degree sex offense charges, was convicted of 12 counts of sexual abuse of a minor, eight counts of second-degree sex offense and one count of third-degree sex offense.
Judge Donald E. Beachley ordered Selby to undergo a mental-health evaluation, which is required by law, Assistant State's Attorney Brett Wilson said after the verdict. The sex abuse of a minor counts each carry a maximum sentence of 25 years in prison, he said.
That 2009 conviction involved teenage victims, according to court records. Last year, Selby and his wife, Jessica Selby, were charged with sexually assaulting two other children, a girl and a boy, according to the application for statement of charges filed by the Maryland State Police.
The trial began Monday with Jessica Selby testifying for the prosecution that she and her husband had sexually molested the girl on at least three occasions from 2006 to 2008.
Jessica Selby, 38, pleaded guilty in March to sex abuse of a minor and sex abuse of a minor as a continuing course of conduct. That plea called for her to serve another 15-year sentence on top of the 16-year sentence she received in the 2009 case and her agreement to testify against Charles Selby.
Jessica Selby testified that she and her husband were living together but not married when the abuse of the girl started. She testified they married in 2008.
The female victim, now 11, also testified, and the jury watched a videotaped interview with the girl conducted last year in which she detailed the allegations.
Charles Selby took the stand and denied the allegations, Assistant Public Defender Charles Bailey said after the trial.
In his closing argument, Bailey said the evidence against Selby was based solely on the testimony and statements of the girl and Jessica Selby.
The case against Charles Selby involving the allegations of sexual abuse of a boy has been continued, and no trial date has been set, Wilson said.