Homeowner Angie Thacker said she and her husband, Tom, were in the older portion of the house while their twins slept in their new bedrooms. The 4-year-olds each got their own second-floor room in a house addition as a Christmas present.
Shortly after 8 p.m., the adults smelled something burning in the home at 12066 North Ave., Angie Thacker said. They checked heaters and the electrical panel in the basement, but nothing seemed amiss, she said.
Angie Thacker said her husband called 911 when they heard noises.
“Everything started popping. All the lights went out,” she said.
Firefighters were cutting open the roof above the Thackers’ sunroom and kitchen. The fire appeared to have been contained to that section of the home.
The house is west of the intersection of North Avenue and Skiway Avenue atop a hill behind the municipal park. Angie Thacker said the family moved there two and a half years ago.
Fire departments from Franklin and Adams counties in Pennsylvania and Washington and Frederick counties in Maryland responded.