Shoulder patches in the banquet room represented nearly every state, county and local police and paid fire department at the Elks’ 19th annual Law & Safety Day awards ceremony.
This year, 16 recipients were recognized for their public service, said Capt. George Swartwood of the Martinsburg Police Department. Swartwood and Rodney Woods co-chair the event. Both are Elks members.
“We do this every year to recognize the men and women who work daily to keep our community safe,” Woods said.
The event included dinner and awards presentations.
The recipients were:
• Patrolwoman Marybeth Butcher, Martinsburg Police Department
• Trooper 1st. Class M.D. Gilmore, Berkeley County state police detachment
• Cpl. J.S. Chumley, Jefferson County state police detachment
• Senior Trooper S.R. Smith, Morgan County state police detachment
• Cpl. Brian Bean, Eastern Panhandle Drug & Violent Crime Task Force
• Dep. Brandon McGhee, Berkeley County Sheriff’s Department
• Dep. Brandon Conway, Jefferson County Sheriff’s Department
• Dep. 1st. Class Luke A. Shambaugh, Morgan County Sheriff’s Department
• Lt. Ronald A. Talbot, Martinsburg Fire Department
• Cpl. Jason Roberson, Eastern Regional Jail
• Lt. George Manning, Charles Town (W.Va.) Police Department
• Master Sgt. Todd Evans, 167th Airlift Wing, West Virginia Air National Guard, security forces training manager
• Sgt. Kristain Burks, Veterans Affairs Police Service