Conococheague Institute will host End of Starvation Feast
MERCERSBURG, Pa. — Conococheague Institute will hold an End of Starvation Feast on Saturday from 4 to 8 p.m. at the Welsh Barrens Visitors Center.
The event is a re-creation of the Conococheague Settlement’s experience as the harsh winter of 1775 came to an end.
The menu will be prepared by Marcel’s Catering Service.
Dinner will be at 5 p.m.
Tickets cost $35 per person. Seating is limited.
To reserve a ticket, call 717-328-3467.
Extension office to offer water-testing program
CHAMBERSBURG, Pa. — The Penn State Cooperative Extension Office in Franklin County will offer a water-testing program during National Drinking Water Week, which is May 6-12.
The program encourages private well owners to test their water at group rates.
Two groups of tests will be provided.
Group 1 provides the most essential tests and includes coliform bacteria, E. coli and nitrate. Penn State recommends running the tests annually. The test costs $42.
Group 2 is recommended for first-time testing and every three years thereafter. It includes coliform bacteria, E. coli, nitrate, lead, pH and total dissolved solids. The test costs $74.
Test kits may be purchased at the extension office from May 7-11 between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. The sample must be collected and returned on May 15 between 8:30 a.m. and noon.
For more information, go to the extension office at 181 Franklin Farm Lane in Chambersburg or call 717-263-9226.
Mennonite group seeks items for Syrian relief efforts
CHAMBERSBURG, Pa. — The Mennonite Central Committee Material Resources Center is preparing relief kits to send to the people of Syria.
The following items are needed for each kit:
- Four large bars of bath soap (leave in wrapping)
- One plastic bottle of shampoo (13 to 24 ounces; place bottle in a resealable plastic bag)
- Four large bars of laundry soap (some stores carry Fels Naptha, Sunlight or Zote brands)
- One squeeze tube of toothpaste (minimum 6 ounces; leave in box)
- Four adult-size toothbrushes (leave in packaging)
- Four new bath towels (medium weight, dark or bright colors)
- Two wide-tooth combs (6 to 8 inches)
- One fingernail clipper
- One box of adhesive bandages (minimum 40, assorted)
- One package of sanitary pads (18 to 24, thin maxi)
Place contents in a box or bag and deliver it to the Cumberland Valley Relief Center at 4225 Molly Pitcher Highway in Chambersburg.
For more information, call 717-375-2088.