14 stores found to be noncompliant in Martinsburg alcohol check
Fourteen stores were listed as non-compliant after the Martinsburg Police Department and the Alcoholic Beverage Commission conducted a compliance operation targeting clerks who were selling alcohol to minors, according to a news release from the police department.
Clerks who sold alcohol to minors were cited for unlawful sale of alcohol by a alcoholic liquor licensee, the release said. The compliance operation was conducted using a minor under the age of 21, the release said.
Individuals found guilty of the violation can be fined up to $500, be jailed up to 30 days, or both.
The compliance operation was conducted May 12 and May 13 and was funded by the United Way through a substance abuse grant, police said.
According to the release, the following businesses who were found to be non-compliant included:
- Peppers News Stand on North Queen Street.
- Lupitas on North Queen Street.
- Berkeley News on North Queen Street.
- Martins grocery at 900 Foxcroft Ave.
- ROCS on Winchester Avenue.
- 7-Eleven at King Street and Winchester Avenue.
- 7-Eleven on North Queen Street.
- 7-Eleven on Moler Avenue.
- Crown Gas on Edwin Miller Boulevard.
- Rite Aid on Winchester Avenue.