By JENNIFER FITCH
9:46 PM EST, December 4, 2012
Waynesboro Area School District elementary and middle school teachers whose students performed well on the 2011-12 Pennsylvania System of School Assessment, or PSSA, tests received recognition Tuesday.
School board members, Superintendent Sherian Diller and Assistant Superintendent Wendy Royer congratulated the teachers following a presentation about the schools’ standardized test results.
Waynesboro Area Middle School, Hooverville Elementary School and Mowrey Elementary School made “Adequate Yearly Progress” as determined by the state, while Summitview and Fairview elementary schools did not.
Fairview Elementary School is in “warning” status for its special-needs students’ performance in math and reading. Summitview Elementary School is under the same status for reading scores from its economically disadvantaged students.
The PSSAs were administered in grades three to eight, and 11.
Districtwide, Waynesboro did not meet AYP and is now on a warning list. The measurements are tied to the federal No Child Left Behind initiative calling for all students to be proficient in reading and math by 2014.
The 2011-12 benchmarks sought to have 81 percent of test takers ranked “proficient” or “advanced” in reading classifications and 78 percent in the same categories in math classifications.
Achievements celebrated during Tuesday’s board meeting included:
• Hooverville Elementary School had the highest percentage of advanced/proficient scores in math in Franklin County in grades three to six.
• Summitview Elementary School fourth-graders had the highest percentage of advanced/proficient in reading in Franklin County.
• Mowrey Elementary School fourth-graders had the highest percentage of advanced/proficient in math in Franklin County.
• Hooverville Elementary School fifth-graders had the highest percentage of advanced/proficient in math in Franklin County.
• Hooverville Elementary School sixth-graders had the highest percentage of advanced/proficient in math in Franklin County.
Copyright © 2013, Herald Mail