Helen DeVos Children's Hospital recently received LEED Gold certification by the U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC).
LEED is the USGBC's leading rating system for designing and constructing the world's greenest, most energy efficient, and high-performing buildings.
Helen DeVos Children's Hospital is the only hospital in Michigan to be awarded Gold certification and one of just two dedicated children's hospitals in the nation to achieve the honor. There are only 25 hospitals in the U.S. that currently hold LEED Gold certification, which is the second highest designation a hospital or building can attain.
"We are very proud to be recognized by the USGBC," said Bob Connors, MD, president of Helen DeVos Children's Hospital. "Conserving environmental resources while creating the best healing environment for patients and their families was an important goal for this project."
LEED Gold certification was based on a number of green design and construction features including:
- Reduced water use through low flow plumbing fixtures, and high efficiency irrigation.
- Energy savings from high performance building envelop, heat recovery, HVAC, and lighting design and controls.
- Reduced impact on environment through use of regional products and products containing recycled materials.
- Healthy indoor environment through selection and use of materials that minimize emission of indoor air contaminants.
The hospital worked with URS Corporation, Turner Construction and Wolverine Building Group to design and build the new hospital. The entire team was able to recycle 94% of the construction waste and debris.
The new 440,000 square foot, 14 story hospital features:
• A child-friendly atmosphere.
• An outdoor garden accessible from the main lobby.
• Private inpatient rooms where parents may stay overnight.
• An expanded neonatal center with 40 private rooms.
• A 24-bed pediatric critical care unit for critically ill and injured children.
• An emergency department and operating and recovery rooms just for children.
• A pediatric heart catheterization laboratory and pediatric radiology department with the latest diagnostic imaging technology.
• Quiet spaces and a chapel for all faiths.
Helen DeVos Children's Hospital opened in January 2011. For more information, visit helendevoschildrens.org.