Jim Powers will hold his ballroom dance party Friday from 7 to 10 p.m. at the Maugansville Ruritan Club building on Maugans Avenue. Admission costs $4 per person.
A workshop titled “Coronary Health Improvement Project,” or CHIP, will offer information on heart disease, high blood pressure, adult onset diabetes, high cholesterol and obesity.
The free sessions will be Thursday from 6 to 7 p.m. at Robinwood Professional Center, Suite 122A, and Feb. 16, from 7 to 8 p.m. at Hagerstown Seventh-day Adventist Church, 11507 Robinwood Drive.
For more information, call Shayne Remmers at 301-733-8867 or send an email to email@example.com.
The Smithsburg Cal Ripken/Babe Ruth Baseball League will hold registration at the Smithsburg fire hall, at 22 N. Main St., Saturday, Feb. 11, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Bring a copy of the child’s birth certificate to registration. The cost is $40 per player or $70 per family for the Cal Ripken Division for ages 4 to 12, and $135 for the Babe Ruth Division for ages 13 to 18. All Washington County residents are eligible.
Registration can be done online at www.slsbaseball.org.
Music with Ms. Hard:
• Fifth-graders learned about the pentatonic scale and how to compose short melodies on mallet instruments.
• Fourth-graders finished their unit on tempo markings and have moved on to meter signatures.
• Third-graders finished a short unit on melodic contour, which is the shape of the melody.
• Second-graders completed a unit on call and response form.
• First-graders learned about phrases in music and worked on the difference between beat and rhythm.
• Kindergartners learned to keep a steady beat.
In other school news, guidance counselors met with students to discuss cyber-bullying over the past month and will continue to do so as part of the school counseling lessons.