A variety of fitness classes are offered at the Little Antietam Community Center in Keedysville.
• Pilates mat classes are Tuesdays from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. beginning Sept. 6. Learn the basic mat exercises as you improve core strength, posture, flexibility and tone your muscles. Thursday evening classes, from 6 to 7 p.m., vary and might include aerobics, strength training, Pilates, yoga or a combination of these formats.
• Saturday morning yoga begins Sept. 10 from 9 to 10 a.m. Bring your own mat to each of these classes. A class geared to the young at heart is offered Wednesday mornings from 10 to 11 a.m. This class, which begins Sept. 13, includes simple low-impact aerobic moves, strength training, flexibility and balance training. All classes are taught by certified instructor Sandy Ferris, who allows participants to work at their own level.
For more information on all classes and their cost, call 301-432-5320.
Zumba classes offered at St. Mark’s
Licensed Zumba instructor Anita Binder will teach fall/winter Zumba sessions at St. Mark’s Parish Hall, 18313 Lappans Road in Boonsboro, beginning Tuesday, Sept. 6 and running through Wednesday, Dec. 21.
Two classes run Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday evenings at 5:30 p.m. and 6:45 p.m. Classes cost $2 per class when purchasing a 15-class punch card. The drop-in fee costs $5 per class. Class punch cards are valid to be used at both St. Mark’s and Mount Nebo Zumba classes on Saturday. Those ages 13 and older are welcome (those ages 13 to 17 must be accompanied by a parent, and a signed waiver is required).
For more information, call 240-675-5061 or 301-393-0884 (leave message) or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
St. Mark’s to hold workcamp benefit auction
St. Mark’s Episcopal church on Lappans Road will hold a workcamp benefit auction Sunday, Sept. 18, at 4 p.m. in the Parish Hall.
The event will include bidding on themed gift baskets, handmade items, unique services, gift certificates and other items.
Finger food appetizers and desserts will be available.
Admission at the door costs $5 and all auction proceeds help St. Mark’s youths further their outreach and embark on another weeklong work camp next summer.
For more information, call the church at 301-582-0417.
Zumba offered at Rockland Woods
Liz Martz will offer Zumba classes at Rockland Woods Elementary School on Mondays and Wednesdays from Sept. 12 to Dec. 7 (no class Oct. 19 and Nov. 23) from 5:15 to 6 p.m.
The 45-minute exercise class features Latin and hip-hop rhythms.
The class costs $40 for county residents, $50 for nonresidents and $32 for those 55 and older.
The class is sponsored by the Washington County Recreation Department.
For more information, go to www.washco-md.net.
Sharpsburg Lions to hold pit beef stand
The Sharpsburg Lions Club will hold a pit beef stand during Sharpsburg Heritage Day, Saturday, Sept. 17.
• The club will also participate in a sing-along at Fahrney-Keedy Thursday, Sept. 8, followed by eye screening at Greenbrier Elementary Friday, Sept. 9.
• The club will conduct a highway cleanup Saturday, Sept. 10.
• Thursday, Sept. 15 is the date for the second regular meeting of the month.
• A busy month will end Friday, Sept. 30, when the club conducts eye screening at Sharpsburg Elementary.
The Sharpsburg Lions Club meets the first and third Thursdays at St. Paul’s Episcopal Church, 209 W. Main St. in Sharpsburg.
Share your news
Information concerning churches, clubs, schools, organizations and activities in the Sharpsburg/Keedysville area may be called to Harry Nogle at 301-432-2437 or emailed to email@example.com.