9:33 AM EDT, June 1, 2011
FORT COLLINS, Colo.(KTLA) -- Richard Heene, the Colorado father behind the so-called "Balloon Boy" hoax, is hoping someone will buy the infamous "flying saucer" balloon for $1 million.
Heene and his wife posted a video last week, saying money raised in the private auction will help with tsunami relief efforts in Japan.
The auction, apparently being overseen by attorney Perry H. Rausher, offers a "purchase now" price of $1,000,000.00.
In a video message, Richard Heene says he and his wife thought, "how could we help out?"
"We can't with out hands but we have something that we think could help," he says before describing the balloon's features.
Heene's wife then says in Japanese that money raised will go toward charities aiding the recovery efforts in Japan.
"We will receive nothing," Heene adds.
The 20-foot runaway balloon had viewers across the country on edge in October 2009 after reports that Heene's then 6-year-old son may have been trapped inside.
Heene and his wife, who is Japanese, both pleaded guilty in the hoax.